Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sitting at my desk, I am trying my hardest to conjure up some creativity. Get those creative juices flowing. I told myself I have to write something creative at least once a week. But here I am; fingers on the keyboard; staring at blank screen. Nothing is coming out.

So I wait, as if some magic switch will turn on the flow of creative energy. My mind starts to wonder. Lost in thought, I desire to understand the essence of creativity.

Creativity is not limited to one particular pursuit. It is not limited to one type of person. Or particular time of day. Creativity knows no bounds other than some have it, at least some of the time. It cannot be purchased, sold or otherwise traded. It cannot be measured. And clearly, it cannot controlled.

Wiki defines creativity as "the phenomenon whereby something new is created which has some kind of value. What counts as "new" may be in reference to the individual creator, or to the society or domain within which the novelty occurs. What counts as "valuable" is similarly defined in a variety of ways."

Well, that helps. I guess this explains why Monty Python created "The Meaning Of Life" but didn't tackle "The Meaning of Creativity".

Whatever creativity is, who ever has it, they are marveled. Considered blessed. Talented. If one could master creativity to the point of capture and distribute it as they see fit, they would own the world. Literally.

Creativity has solved all kinds of challenges. It has yielded all kinds of joy and rewards, even salvation, to countless generations. So, to have the power to control creativity would yield unimaginable results. Yet, it will not happen.

Creativity refuses to be mastered. In fact, it cannot be mastered. Ever. And this is the essence of creativity:

Creativity choses its own destiny and reveals itself only to those it choses. To be mastered means its own end. Forever. So we do not, dare not, try to contain it. We can only accept what it gives us.

Which means for now, this is all I can offer. I hope someone finds value in what I write here. Even if it's just a small chuckle.





No comments:

Post a Comment